Professional License Lawyer in North Carolina

What Is the Attorney-Client Privilege and Why Do Licensed Professionals Need to Understand It?

What Is the Attorney-Client Privilege and Why Do Licensed Professionals Need to Understand It?

Today we’re going to talk a little bit about attorney-client privilege and how it relates to licensed professionals. The question is: what is attorney-client privilege, and why do licensed professionals need to know about it?
The attorney-client privilege allows an attorney to protect the information they acquire from a client or even a prospective client, possibly during a consultation and definitely during the course of their representation of that client. This means that what you tell your attorney cannot be disclosed to a third party.
The reason I bring it up in the context of licensed professionals is that if there is a complaint against a licensed professional and you contact an attorney, even if you are just seeking simple advice during a consultation, what you tell that attorney cannot be disclosed to a third party. It stays in-house at the firm. It’s not going anywhere else.
One of the biggest challenges in my career is that sometimes clients or even prospective clients are not completely honest with us. The reason this is detrimental is that we’re not getting the information we need and can be surprised by certain things. For example, if someone gives us 90% of the story, the other 10% could be significant and could lead to a huge surprise later in the case, which we are not prepared for.
So, if you do end up speaking with our office or even another attorney’s office, just be honest with them. Let those attorneys know fully what’s going on with your case. More information is better than not having all the information.
I hope this provides a clear understanding of attorney-client privilege, why it’s applicable to licensed professionals, and why it’s important for licensed professionals to understand.
*Nothing in this blog establishes an attorney-client relationship. Nothing in this blog is legal advice. If you have any questions, please check out our other blogs and our Youtube channel. You can also call us at 919-521-8810 with questions.